Gold Wing 2009
Features & Benefits
Long acknowledged as the pinnacle of touring motorcycles,
the legendary Honda Gold Wing expands its already-impressive resume of luxury
amenities with the addition of XM Radio featuring XM real time traffic and
weather reporting capabilities, plus an automatic tire pressure monitoring
New for 2009
XM Radio offers 170 channels
from coast to coast, including commercial-free music, premier sports, news, talk
radio, comedy, children's and entertainment programming.
XM NavTraffic is the nation's
leading real-time traffic information service, combining up-to-the-minute
information on accidents and incidents with the ability to reroute riders around
trouble spots as displayed on the navigation system screen.
The XM NavWeather service
uses sophisticated Threat Matrix™ technology to track nationwide weather
information for more than 20 different weather conditions, then scales and
customizes this detail to the rider’s specific location and route. XM NavWeather
can alert riders to severe conditions before they ride into them. The service
works with the Navigation System to display information via color weather icons
or warning signals on the navigation screen, and can give the rider the option
to easily re-route around a storm's path. The service also provides multi-day
forecasts based on weather monitoring stations across the United States.
The Tire Pressure Monitoring
System (TPMS) monitors pressure in both tires while riding. When low tire
pressure is detected, a warning light will display below the tachometer.
- New colors include Candy Black Cherry, Pearl Yellow,
Metallic Silver, Deep Blue Metallic, Metallic Titanium, and Metallic Blue (2009
special color†). .
Honda Satellite Linked Navigation System™
- Fully integrated navigation system with color screen.
- Complete United States and Canada mapping with points of
- Points-of-interest information includes Honda dealers,
fuel stations, restaurants, lodging, attractions, transportation, government and
emergency information and saved rider’s input with home function.
- Voice prompting through headsets or speakers.
- On-screen text guidance and pop-up menus.
- Easy-to-use handlebar and fairing-mounted controls.
- Navigation available on select Gold Wing® models.
Cold-Weather Comfort Package
- Five-position heated grips for cold-weather riding.
- Five-position heated seat/backrest combination with
individual rider and passenger controls for optimum comfort.
- Foot-warming system channels engine-heated air over the
rider’s feet and is controlled by a fairing-mounted lever.
- Standard on all
Gold Wing® models.
State-of-the-Art Premium Audio System
- 80-watt-per-channel power amplifier provides clear,
crisp sound at all highway speeds.
- Six-element speaker system includes two rear speakers, a
pair of front speakers and two tweeters for a rich, full sound quality.
- Tuner features auto bass control combined with auto
- Standard on all Gold Wing® models.
- Industry-first fully integrated rider airbag on a
- The airbag module contains the airbag and inflator and
is positioned in front of the rider.
- The airbag Electronic Control Unit (ECU), positioned to
the right of the module, analyzes signals from the crash sensors to determine
whether or not to inflate the airbag.
- Four crash sensors attached two per side on the front
fork detect changes in acceleration caused by frontal impacts.
- From the moment an impact is recognized as a collision,
only 0.015 seconds elapses until the airbag inflation is activated.
- Airbag available only on full-featured version.
A complete line of bolt-on accessories and appearance
- Powerful, fuel-injected 1832cc six-cylinder engine
produces smooth, effortless power.
- Low, forward engine placement and solid engine-mounting
produce excellent road handling characteristics and impressive low-speed
- High-pressure-formed, sintered-iron Nickalloy crankshaft
bearing caps provide quiet operation throughout the engine’s
- Parallel two-valve cylinder-head design utilizes direct
shim-under-bucket valve actuation allows the first valve clearance inspection
service to be at 32,000 miles.
- Silent-type camshaft chains with automatic adjusters
provide reliable, maintenance-free operation.
- Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) (see Technology
- Two 40mm-diameter throttle bodies deliver air to six
specially designed Keihin 50-psi high-pressure programmed fuel injectors (PGM-FI).
Fuel is delivered through four nozzle holes in each injector, producing an
atomized fuel mixture that is highly combustible for optimum efficiency and
- The ECU provides two digital 3-D fuel-injection maps for
each cylinder, creating ideal fuel mixture and spark advance settings for superb
rideability. Unique knock-control sensors monitor ignition advance to improve
performance throughout the entire rpm range.
- ECU closed-loop emissions system utilizes two oxygen
sensors to constantly deliver a precise air/fuel mixture, while two exhaust
catalyzers further reduce emissions of carbon monoxide, hydrocarbons and
- Rotary Air Control Valve (RACV) maintains precise idle
control under widely varying engine loads and operating temperatures.
- Compact water pump is mounted behind the engine and is
driven directly by the crankshaft, contributing to quicker engine warm-up.
- Engine cooling system features a series-flow coolant
pattern that offers cold-start ride-ability and provides rapid engine warm-up.
- Two side-mounted radiators enhance cooling efficiency
and use low-air-pressure areas created by side cowls to draw cooling air through
the radiators and beyond the rider at highway speeds.
- Sturdy eight-plate clutch with maintenance-free
- Efficient stainless-steel six-into-two exhaust system
produces a pleasing, aggressive sound.
- Powerful 1300-watt alternator uses a fluid damper system
to minimize alternator noise.
- Precise-shifting five-speed transmission includes
- Twin-Spar Aluminum Frame (see Technology Section)
- Inherently smooth flat-six-cylinder Gold Wing engine
also serves as a tuned stressed frame member. The solid engine-mounting system
utilizes specially designed hangers and carefully matched mounting bolts to
provide both excellent road feel and minimal engine vibration.
- Unique Pro-Arm® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
- Dual full-floating 296mm front discs with Linked Braking
System™ (LBS™) three-piston calipers and a single ventilated 316mm rear disc
with one LBS three-piston caliper provide excellent braking power.
- Linked Braking System (LBS) combined with Anti-Lock
Braking System (ABS) (see Technology Section)
- Model equipped with ABS features an
electric-motor-driven modulator that provides rapid and precise braking-pressure
adjustments, resulting in smooth ABS operation. The system incorporates an
integrated ECU, self-diagnostics with an interactive ECU test function and
automatic protection against system failure.
- Massive 45mm front fork houses a cartridge damper in the
right leg with 5.5 inches of travel for a smooth yet superb ride in all road
- Antidive system minimizes front fork dive when braking.
The system utilizes brake-fluid pressure generated in the secondary LBS master
cylinder mounted on the left fork leg and is activated by input from either the
front brake lever or the rear brake pedal. This application of antidive and LBS
produces enhanced stability when maneuvering at both low speeds and highway
- Pro-Link® Rear Suspension (see Technology Section)
- Computer-controlled adjustable hydraulic rear suspension
preload is easily set by the rider with push-button controls, and features a
- Unique driveshaft-damping system utilizes a double-pipe
structure with a rubber-bonded coating applied to the inner pipe to absorb road
shock and engine torque. The long-life design simplifies rear-wheel maintenance.
- Final gearcase assembly design in the Pro Arm eliminates
wheel alignment splines and ensures accurate alignment of the rear wheel after
- Cast-aluminum 18 x 3.5-inch front wheel and 16 x
5.0-inch rear wheel are lightweight and strong. Radial touring tires are
specifically engineered for the Gold Wing, providing a combination of excellent
traction, cornering grip and long tire life.
- The parallel two-valve cylinder-head design, together
with side-mounted radiators, allows optimum ergonomics, with excellent rider
foot room and a large passenger cockpit.
- Slow-speed, electric Reverse system is engaged with the
simple push of the thumb control on the right handlebar.
- Lightweight electronic cruise-control system utilizes a
16-bit ECU-controlled, motor-actuated throttle mechanism.
- The Gold Wing’s aerodynamic bodywork is functional as
well as beautiful, providing excellent rider wind protection while reducing the
aerodynamic drag coefficient.
- A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment
system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated
manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
- Adjustable and closeable windscreen vent routes fresh
air to the rider’s face or chest.
- The Gold Wing trunk provides 60 liters of storage
capacity with an additional 5 liters of storage available if the optional CD
changer is not installed. Two full-face helmets fit easily in the trunk. The
saddlebags provide 40-plus liters of storage each, resulting in a total of 147
liters of storage space.
- The saddlebag lids feature hydraulic dampers for smooth
- Specially designed luggage features a remote-control key
lock, permitting pop-open rear trunk operation; remote lock/unlock for the trunk
and saddlebags; and horn-actuated bike locator. If remote locking is attempted
while a lid is open, the emergency lights flash to alert the rider.
- Pockets are located in the fairing and rear trunk for
convenient, easy-access storage.
- Soft-touch plastic elastomer provides a luxurious feel
to the front console, front- and rear-pocket covers and the passenger armrests.
- Ergonomically designed saddle with a low 29.1-inch seat
height has a plush passenger seat with integral backrest and side support for
all-day riding comfort.
- Instrument cluster includes white-on-black analog
displays for speedometer, tachometer, coolant temperature and fuel level, plus
features adjustable backlighting and high-luminescence red pointers.
Indicator/warning lights are provided for Reverse, Neutral, Overdrive, oil
pressure, fuel injection, high beam, sidestand, cruise on, cruise set and low
fuel. A high-resolution LCD housed in a separate module is visible in all
lighting conditions and displays the odometer, A/B tripmeter, ambient
temperature, audio modes, CB, rear-suspension setting, trunk/saddlebag-open
indicators and a clock.
- Motorized headlight-aiming system is operated by a dial
switch and provides 2.5 degrees of adjustment from level.
- Large 6.6-gallon fuel tank houses the PGM-FI fuel pump
and provides excellent long-distance cruising range.
- Headlight system features two 55-watt H7 low-beam and
two 55-watt H7 high-beam bulbs with computer-designed multireflectors. In
high-beam operation, all four bulbs produce a distinctive front lighting
- Engine and saddlebag guards help protect the Gold Wing’s
bodywork in case of a tip-over.
- Silver powdercoated finish helps ensure the Gold Wing’s
aluminum frame will remain beautiful for years to come.
- Maintenance-free features include automatic choke, RACV
automatic idle, programmed fuel injection, automatic cam-chain adjusters, sealed
battery, electronic cruise control and computer-controlled hydraulic rear spring
- Handsome two-piece aluminum handlebars are lightweight
- Adjustable brake and clutch levers.
- Clear lenses on rear turn signals and running lights
complement the Gold Wing’s aggressive styling.
- Self-canceling turn signals.
- Fully illuminated handlebar and radio switches.
- Handlebar switches and controls use easy-to-understand
- Dual electric spiral horns trumpet a distinctive note.
- 20-amp YTX maintenance-free battery.
- Dual helmet locks.
- Fold-down antenna for easy storage.
- Padded passenger handrails.
- Easy-to-use centerstand.
- Convenient ignition switch/fork lock for added security.
- Transferable three-year, unlimited-mileage warranty;
extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan.
- Purchase of a new, previously unregistered Honda
USA-certified unit by an individual retail user in the United States qualifies
the owner for a one-year complimentary membership in the Honda Riders Club of
America® (HRCA®). Visit www.hrca.honda.com for details.
- Assembled in Marysville, Ohio.
Honda Genuine Accessories
- Audio Accessories: Six-Disc CD Changer, CB Radio Kit, CB
Antenna, Audio Headsets (for open-face and full-face helmets), Passenger Audio
- Air Management Accessories: Tall Windscreen, Windscreen
Side Air Deflectors.
- Functional Touring Accessories: Chrome Heated Grips with
Thermostat, Foglight Kit (two types: Halogen or LED), 12v Accessory Socket Kit,
Passenger Armrest, Coin Holder, Saddlebag Cooler, Rear Spoiler (color matched)
with LED Brakelight.
- Touring Convenience Accessories: Removable
Saddlebag/Trunk Liner Set (available in standard and deluxe types), Trunk Net,
Saddlebag/Trunk Mat Set, Seat Weather Cover, Cycle Cover, Front Nose Mask, Trunk
Inner Light, Inner Trunk Pouch, Trunk Lid Organizer, Saddlebag Lid Organizer,
- Chrome Appearance accessories: Front Fender Ornament,
Front Fender Extension, Front Disc Cover, Passenger Floorboard Lower Covers,
Side Fairing Accent, Trunk Rack, Front Fender Rail, Saddlebag Scuff Pads,
Sidestand, Exhaust Tips (two styles), License-Plate Frame, Swingarm Pivot
Covers, Trunk Handle, Rear Spoiler Accent.
Engine Type: 1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed
Bore and Stroke: 74mm x 71mm
Compression Ratio: 9.8:1
Valve Train: SOHC; two valves per cylinder
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital with
Transmission: Five-speed including Overdrive, plus
Final drive: Shaft
Front: 45mm cartridge fork with anti-dive system; 5.5
Rear: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single
shock with computer-controlled spring preload adjustment with two memory
presets; 4.1 inches travel
Front: Dual full-floating 296mm discs with LBS
three-piston calipers; optional ABS
Rear: Single ventilated 316mm disc with LBS three-piston
caliper; optional ABS
Wheelbase: 66.5 inches
Rake (Caster Angle): 29.15°
Trail: 109mm (4.3 inches)
Seat Height: 29.1 inches
Fuel Capacity: 6.6 gallons
Colors: Candy Black Cherry, Pearl Yellow, Metallic Silver,
Deep Blue Metallic, Metallic Titanium, †Metallic Blue
Curb Weight*: 895 – 928 pounds, depending on option
†Limited color run, less than 500
*Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and full
tank of fuel—ready to ride.
Meets current CARB and EPA standards.
©2008 American Honda Motor Co., Inc. All rights reserved.